Saturday, April 14, 2007

Poem for a Saturday in Spring

walk through the park
see the magnolia trees in bloom?
walk to the gardens
6/15 community gardens
walk to 9th street station
you bought me a chocolate-filled croissant
(even though you thought it wasn't healthy)
walk down seventh ave to johnny's bar
it's early - i'm the first customer
i have no money
so johnny pours me glassfuls of ice cold water
from behind the bar
he prepares for the day
especially for margaritas
lime juice to wet the glass
big kosher salt to coat the rim
squeezer at the ready
he chops lemon and lime wedges while he talks
hair swinging about his chin and cheeks
slice off one end, then the other
stand the lemon/lime on one juicy cut end
slice it down the middle
notch the two halves in their center
where the seeds would be
lay the lemon/limes cut face down
slice them crosswise
into happy lemon/lime smiles
that will grin down onto salty coated rims
i pay for my water with a wave
get down off my stool, coat on
linger in the doorway
walk out into the sunshine
it's time to get a haircut
do my taxes
go to the gym
dig up the garden
clean up my room
sweep the house
(it is my turn on the schedule)
mail some magnets
do the dishes
go to the movies
crawl up to bed
my head two feet from the ceiling
close my eyes
bathed in the moonlight that is the
back alley street light
that soon will be broken
by us
with rocks

1 comment:

John said...

beautiful poem...
long live project dark star
(for those wondering what project dark star is, was, or will be,
i'd tell you, but then i'd have to spray paint your face black,
so let's just call the whole thing off)