Monday, March 24, 2014

Too Close

Sometimes, you have to be far enough away from a great idea to let it come alive on paper.  Being too close to a new idea can cause you to hold onto it too tight, hold onto the "truth" of it too tight.  I've been trying to write the story of burying my grandmother's ashes for over a decade now, and I think I've finally forgotten enough of the actual details that I can write it without agonizing over the proper chronology, over who said exactly what.  The facts of the story had long been getting in the way of its essence--the love, the humor, a story of my grandmother, my mother, and her sisters, and me getting to witness it all. 

I've found this with a lot of my writing pieces, even when it's not a "memoir" piece.  A little time away gives me a more ruthless set of editing eyes,the ability to shape and fine-tune what might otherwise be an ungainly swathe of excess.  A little objectivity lets me get to the meat of the story, to revive the original creative impulse that drove me to write in the first place. 

What do you think?  Do your memoirs need to be as accurate as possible in order to access the truth of the story?  Can our "infallible" memories ever be completely truthful?   

5 comments:

Caitlin Steeves said...

PS: The story of Grandma Grace's ashes soon to come!

Caitlin Steeves said...

After posting your own thoughts, read this article http://www.shewrites.com/profiles/blogs/is-this-a-true-story-1?id=3506464%3ABlogPost%3A947789&page=2#comments
from She Writes posted by Meg Bortin.

m said...

We all have our "versions" of the truth...some make us smile, some make us cry and other truths make us wonder how we can see things so differently....it's good to remember whatever your "version" of the truth is....

Nally said...

Everyone sees & remembers moments differently, especially when you're comparing through the eyes of an adult vs a child. I only remember bits and pieces from that time, so I look forward to your version of the story!

John said...

1. An Irishman never let's the truth get in the way of a good story.

2. Most of my stories- at least those I tell aloud- are pure "ungainly swathes of excess", but I eventually get to the meat. Just ask my agent George Kaden.

3. Do time and distance allow us to clarify the emotions that were felt by settling the murky trub of mundane facts? Or, in time, do we create an emotional narrative to project upon our memory of facts surrounding these pivotal life events? Sometimes it's like trying to explain a dream.

I love thinking about this... Thanks for these questions!